AKC Rules and Information Pamphlets Collection
The AKC Rules and Information Pamphlets collection includes pamphlets published by the AKC compiling rules, regulations, guidelines and procedures for various AKC registration, events, and shows. Dating from the early 1930s to present, these pamphlets are periodically updated and new versions published to provide participants with up-to-date, complete information regarding the administration of the sport of pure-bred dogs in the United States. The most recent version of each pamphlet is displayed in the AKC Library. This collection also includes informational pamphlets on subjects such as establishing a community dog park, responsible dog ownership, specific health issues, AKC's DNA Operations, subscribing to AKC publications, and other topics. Some of these pamphlets are also published in Spanish. The most up-to-date informational pamphlets are on display in the AKC Library.
- American Kennel Club (Organization)
Language of Materials
This material is open to research without restrictions.
The first complete book of rules regarding registration and dog shows was approved by the delegates and published by the AKC in 1932. Since then, the AKC has provided published rules, regulations, and procedures applying to the various dog sports. As rules are updated, the AKC publishes replacement pamphlets, numbering in the tens of thousands each year, to keep participants up-to-date.
Source: The American Kennel Club 1884-1984: A Source Book
7.09 Linear Feet (in 16 document boxes)
This collection is divided into two series by subject: 1. AKC Rules, Regulations, and Guidelines, (1930-2016) 2. Informational Pamphlets, (____)
Internally produced print materials are regularly submitted to the AKC Library and Archives for display and reference. Pamphlets are added to the archives on a rolling basis, following the arrival of updated pamphlets.
- Agility trials for dogs
- Basset hound
- Coon hunting.
- Dog Show and Obedience Trial
- Dog Shows -- Judging
- Dog shows
- Dog shows
- Dog shows - Junior showmanship classes
- Dog shows - United States
- Dog sports.
- Field trial dogs
- Field trials
- Herding dogs
- Hounds (group)
- Hunting dogs
- Lure coursing.
- Obedience judging (Dog shows)
- Obedience trials for dogs
- Pointing breed hunting tests
- Pointing dog breeds
- Professional ethics
- Rally (Dog sport) - Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Rally (dog sport)
- Rules, regulations, guidelines, procedures
- Terriers (group)
- Tracking dog tests
- Tracking dog trials
- Tracking dogs
- Guide to the AKC Rules and Information Pamphlets Collection
- Under Revision
- Originally processed by multiple unknown people and Craig P. Savino; Additions, edits, and conversion of legacy finding aid into ArchivesSpace by Katie Bednark in 2016.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note